Re: Re: Re: Good Conductor's rehearsals?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on July 17, 2003 at 20:24:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Good Conductor's rehearsals? posted by Rick Denney on July 17, 2003 at 20:01:14:

I cannot be too much in disagreement with you, but for one point:

Of course conductors are interested in music an therefor listen to music. But I do not find it productive, that conductors form their opinions by listening to records.

I have experienced a conductor, who took his tempi from records. That never resulted in organic performances.

Another conductor was happy, if only the orchestra did not sound like Toscanini’s recordings.

From a band perspective, more precisely a brass band perspective due to local musico-sociological facts, I find it counterproductive to good band performances if conductor and band-members alike have a musical horizon mostly consisting of what has been issued on CD by the best British bands.

It is OK to play in bands, that is what I have done mostly, but I must admit, that I have found it way more inspiring to listen to orchestras and chamber music formations of various national schools. Yes, I am old enough to have heard these variations. The general level of playing is much higher now than 40 years ago, but it also gets more uniform.

Of course I have been running on a tangent to the thread, but I find so much more inspiring to play under conductors and together with fellow musicians, which have made their own musical considerations. Of course that takes a lot of education and preparation, score-reading being a big part of that.

Klaus

Follow Ups: