Re: Re: Air escaping from corners of mouth-help!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alexandra on July 28, 2003 at 01:16:02:

In Reply to: Re: Air escaping from corners of mouth-help! posted by Warren on July 27, 2003 at 21:57:46:

I recently switched to a Laskey 28G from an ME4 and have been experimenting with a Monette 94, and the leak occurs with all three mouthpieces in all ranges pretty regularly. I also leak when playing F tuba with my Bobo Symphonic. The Bobo has a relatively large rim, I think, as do the Erickson and the Monette, but the Laskey might be a bit smaller. However, I don't readily understand how a smaller rim would stop the leak; it seems that a smaller rim would leave more space for openings in the corners. Will you please explain?

Regarding other suggestions: I've been doing a lot of visualizer buzzing and facial exercises to get more control. Stuffing more lip in the mouthpiece, however, has proved to be a little more difficult to accomplish. I already feel sort of crammed in, but I'll keep the suggestions in mind. I'll be able to fix this when I get back to school (University of Michigan), I think, but since I'm without my professor's direct guidance, I wanted to try to make a little progress on my own with help from you guys. Thanks again :)

Follow Ups: