Re: Buying a Tuba: New vs. Used

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on June 10, 1999 at 08:49:04:

In Reply to: Buying a Tuba: New vs. Used posted by Steve Marcus on June 10, 1999 at 06:30:35:

Considering the usual large price difference between used and new and also the fact that very very very few people actually use any part of their warranty, I believe used and new are equal. Since most people buy tubas distributed from somewhere out of convenient driving distance, the warranty becomes even more difficult to claim. Warranties on tubas are, for the most part, little more than marketting.

What you could miss out by buying used are the latest models. For instance. If you want a Hirsbrunner HB-20 of a Besson 985 F or a B&S PT-15, then you are most likely out of luck in the used market because fewer people own them now. Those fewer people also are probably not going to be looking to unload their new horns for a while.

I also believe the psycological mystique associated with being the "original owner" of a new horn means something. It may not have a lot to do with the art, but it does make you feel good. Then again, I wouldn't be too upset if I got my hands on a retrofitted first or second batch Yorkbrunner either ;)

sean

Follow Ups: