Re: Conn 112H vs. Bach 50B03 Bass Trombone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max on June 20, 1999 at 14:12:46:

In Reply to: Conn 112H vs. Bach 50B03 Bass Trombone posted by Young Player on June 20, 1999 at 01:00:05:

Don't waste your money on either of the horns; especially the Bach 50. I have played many Bachs and I can assure they are good for only tuba etudes. They can almost cut the book in an orchestra but not as good as an Edwards. The Bachs are worthless in big
bands, most orchestral literature, and forget wind ensemble. You will never be able to match the rest of a decent trombone section. If any parts are demanding, they will be twice as hard on a Bach 50, simply because the horn is a cow.
I don't know anything about the new Conn bass bones but I assume they are lighter than the Bach. Go to Elkhorn and pick out the Edwards that suits you. Don't go shopping for the heaviest bell you can find. I can assure you that you will not be playing Mahler all that much.
I am in the market for an old Conn with tunalbe slide and only one trigger. I have played enough gigs to know that a bass trombone should sound more like a trombone and less like a tuba.
Sincerely,
Max

Follow Ups: