Re: Re: Conn 112H vs. Bach 50B03 Bass Trombone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max on June 21, 1999 at 14:00:26:

In Reply to: Re: Conn 112H vs. Bach 50B03 Bass Trombone posted by Max on June 20, 1999 at 14:12:46:

I was rather rough on the Bach on my last post, wasn't I?
I am not knocking Bachs for their craftsmanship. My biggest problem is that they are too big. They are simply me horn than anyone needs. The Bachs are well siuted to orchestral lit when you are playing the big stuff (Mahler, Bruckner, Wagner). They are actually too cumbersome when palying the lighter stuff.
The smaller bass bones are much better suited to playing the other 90% of the lit. It takes far too much effort to play a big band gig on a Bach 50. Even concert band does not require such a large intrument. When it comes time for your recital, you will be hurting by the end if you are playing on a 50.
I know few bass trombone players who have trouble overpowering orchestras (that is our goal) with smaller bass bones. The only difference is that there is less effort with a smaller horn.
By the way, I bought my Edwards five years ago; befor it was a fad. I chose a rose brass bell but then found lighter yellow brass bell that is easier to play.
Loud and Proud,
Max

Follow Ups: