Re: Improv

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on June 23, 1999 at 19:08:58:

In Reply to: Improv posted by John Hreha on June 23, 1999 at 13:19:44:

I live in Tennessee, am a tuba player, and play jazz. I would like to help you, but I would rather someone at the school would help you develop a solo. Since you have no experience with improvisation, (some will chide me for this, but) I recommend that you and your teacher(s) "compose" a nice little solo for the concert. Improvisation is composing, too, but just "on the spot". I think that you would still learn something, and sound good on the concert, if you pre-composed your solo. You could, after working it out, take "little" chances with it during the rehearsals by varying it just a bit. Perhaps, if you became more comfortable, you could take BIG chances, if you have time to work on this.

If NO one is there to help you with this, e-mail me, and I will give you my fax #. Fax me the exact chord changes, and how many repetitions (how many times through the twelve bar blues for your solo), and I will try to guess at your technical ability and write you out something that would work and fax it back. AGAIN, I would MUCH prefer that your teacher in Murfreesboro work on this with you!!

If you continue to be interested in jazz, please order the first four or five Jamie Aebersold cd's and book combinations that teach beginning jazz improvisation.

Enjoy your great summer there, and congratulations for being chosen!

Follow Ups: