Re: SOUSAPHONE questions????????????????????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gus Pratt on June 03, 2000 at 19:40:00:

In Reply to: SOUSAPHONE questions???????????????????? posted by Kevin Eckelkamp on June 03, 2000 at 12:48:15:

Most sousaphones won't have that "brand new" look unless they are replated. However you can find real nice silver sousaphones. The things I would look for are how much silver is worn off in key areas like the first valve slide where your hand rest. This will tell you two things; how thick the original plating was and how used the horn is. Remember that if the silver is thin from years of use or polishing then dent removal could result in more silver being removed. Personally I would either look for one of the following things: a BBb raincatcher, a 4 valve sousaphone, a jumbo sousaphone, or a big helicon. Any of these things will hold its value and will be easier to resale in the future. Any of these will probably have a few dents or silver wear, but among collectors this is exceptable. Avoid anythig that you have to sink money into that you cannot get back (excessive dent work, silver plating, valve work etc.). A new looking horn isn't worth the money spent. You might be able to find a pristine Conn 20K that someone else has spent to have the dent work done, let him take the lose, rather then you. With your spending cap, you'd be able to find a pretty well used, but good playing collector horn, Or a real good all purpose sousaphone. One thing I've noticed over the years is that if a old sousaphone is silver plated, in a photograph it might not look real good, but if it isn't dented, the valves work and it plays then most times it's a diamond in the rough. The silver will also shine up. Keep your eye on eBay and see what horns are selling for. Go back and check the auctions that are over and see. Small things like no neck or bits, or valve caps don't worry about, they are easily obtained.

Follow Ups: