Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 6/4 tuba: Hirs vs. MW vs. PT-7 vs...etc?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on June 14, 2000 at 23:48:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 6/4 tuba: Hirs vs. MW vs. PT-7 vs...etc? posted by Rick Denney on June 12, 2000 at 09:57:35:

I hope this isn't too out of line but it has been my observation that the standard Miraphone rotory tubas(I'm assuming this is what you have) are about as forgiving as you are going to get in terms of always being able to create a pleasant sound and being forgiving about not practicing. It is my opinion that what you trade off from those tubas is a certain lack of depth and flexibility to the sound.

This is in stark contrast to the 4/4 in 6/4 out type tubas which very likely will only amplify any poor technique you put into it. These horns may not require the huge physical exertions of less efficient horns but they do require a very specific kind of air collumn and approach that takes a conscious effort that I'm guessing won't come automatically to someone accustomed to a miraphone.

Rather than just rain on your parade entirely tho.. if I were you and I was looking for something different from my miraphone soundwise that still allowed my to skimp a little on the practice side of things I would take a look at anything that Dillon has had their hands in designing. Their designs seem to favor the recreational player response wise and the new Conn that they've helped with has a sound that may be what you are looking for.

Good luck!
joseph 'flame retardant suit on' felton

Follow Ups: