Re: Switching Problems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on June 25, 2001 at 15:59:19:

In Reply to: Switching Problems posted by Tracy H on June 25, 2001 at 01:59:19:

I'll throw in my two cents here even though it was a while back when I switched. The first thing to do is to not touch or even look at a BBb for at least two months. This forces your mind into getting comfortable with CC as your only alternative. Also, this may sound strange, but I would also recommend practicing your scales on BOTH hands. By this I mean going over the patterns with your left hand while think the pitches in your mind as well as your right. This forces patterns even more into your brain. I would also do this with solo literature (easy stuff) just for kicks. Also, if it helps think of when you pick up the CC how it feels different from the BBb. This will help your mind differentiate what you are holding. That is why BBb sousaphone is still fairly easy to pick up even though I don't own a BBb horn, because the horn just feels different, and I even apply this to the F tuba. Fortunately, either on your own thinking or by instruction, you are approaching the switch in a logical manner. I was an idiot and tried to keep up bass trombone, BBb, and sousaphone all while staring CC. It wasn't until I stopped playing the other crap and got down to business that things started to click. Best of Luck!
Matt G

Follow Ups: