How can volunteer organizations improve?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mr. Curious on June 27, 2001 at 13:37:32:

I don't want to offend any members of my band who may be reading this, hence the anonymous post.

A community band I play in has some excellent musicians, but an unfortunate number of people who can't/won't practice and consistently play out of tune, out of rhythm, and/or too loud. Frequently we are missing sufficient representation in several sections (clarinets and trumpets, in particular). We have a policy of accepting anyone who can play "reasonably well", and many people join the band to get their lips in shape. From time to time, stronger players join and really help the overall sound, but they usually leave after a few months.

We read a lot of different music and probably perform over 100 pieces each year (to shrinking audiences), but pieces like Grainger's Lincolnshire Posey seem, forever, out of our grasp, even for a reading.

Some thoughts that come to mind are :
Form a wind-ensemble with limited, audition-only positions, in hopes of attracting and retaining stronger and more serious players who may have become frustrated with the mediocrity.

Institute auditions for the current band (I am very reluctant for this to happen; some people have been playing there for over 20 years, and have more right to be there than I do).

Convince the director to demand better playing from the band members, in hopes that some people will improve or leave, and better players will be more likely to join and stay.

Go find another band of more dedicated musicians and attempt to pass their audition criteria.

Accept that this is just a community band, that I made my choice not to pursue music professionally, and that marches and show tunes are not all that bad.

I would welcome any suggestions or experiences from others who may have dealt with this issue.

Follow Ups: