Re: How can volunteer organizations improve?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan 'not a pro - but improving' Schultz on June 27, 2001 at 14:35:09:

In Reply to: How can volunteer organizations improve? posted by Mr. Curious on June 27, 2001 at 13:37:32:

I started a community band about two years ago. I am not a professional. Just a guy who wanted to play tuba again after many years of not playing. Today, we have a roster of about 60 with 30 or so performing at any given time. We are strictly volunteer... even the conductor. We have our 501 (3)c status, hold weekly rehearsal, and do about 30 performances a year. Your question is a subject to hot debate. You might try looking at this URL for some ideas....
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/community-music
I am pretty quick to let folks know that the improvement process involves all of the band members. If you can help someone overcome a problem... do it! If you can't tolerate a mistake now and then, you need to move on to a professional environment. We encourage EVERYONE to participate. We also have been known to ask some of the lesser experienced players sit through some passages. The worst thing that usually happens is the top players tend to think they should play the 1st parts. The director should utilize the top 3 players to play the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd parts and then fill in with those who need to learn from others. Number one; there is no way to keep some people from being offended... whether they are or not. Whatever you do, you need to keep the back-biting and gossip to a minimum. Take a look at the URL above... take a look at your group... and above all, take a good look at yourself. Then, make your decision to stay and help the group or leave.

Dan Schultz, president & founder
The Old Dam Community Band
Newburgh, Indiana
go.to/damband

Follow Ups: