Re: 1939 York Instrument Catalog

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on June 29, 2001 at 18:04:20:

In Reply to: 1939 York Instrument Catalog posted by Lew on June 29, 2001 at 17:39:20:

What a great post! I have one of those very instruments as pictured, the Symphony CC Bass model 632(? It's a little hard to read those numerals). I bought it in 1963 from Bill Kearney, a then recent Eastman graduate (contemporary of Roger Bobo), then playing the San Antonio Symphony. In the small world department, Bill subsequently went into teaching, and a very good friend of mine, and a favorite trombonist with whom I frequently work, went through Bill's school instrumental program. I believe it's original owner was William Whybrew (sp?) tubist with Rochester, who upon retirement was suceeded by Roger Bobo. Anyway it's been a great horn. I've used other CCs, and recently acquired a smaller Dillonated York, but I've never remotely considered parting with this one.

I was previously unaware that it was a production model, I had thought most CCs were cistom made. Now that I know that Eugene Adam played one with the BSO, I'll have to dig out my old Koussevitzky recordings.

THANK YOU, Lew

Follow Ups: