Conn v TU-29 v Schilke

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on June 10, 2002 at 22:15:31:

Hey everyone.

Ive used a conn Helleburg MP exclusively for the past 3 years. Well, dumb dumb dumb me managed to leave it in ahotel room in Virginia, and I havent found it :'-(

So, as a back up, ive been using the Mirafone TU-29 that i had lying around (came with my old tuba). It's a lot liek the Conn, similar cup and diameter, but MUCH rounder rim.

When I got my Getzen :-) last month, Mr. Fedderly shipped a Schilke helleberg with the horn. Obviously, it's a lot smaller. It gives a rather focused, bright sound on the Getzen, and I love high register playing on it, but I have no control if i go below D in the staff. It's just too narrow.

Trouble is, it fits the receiver on the getzen, while the Mirafone wiggles. If i blow through the horn with valves depressed, the back pressure blows spit out the gaps and makes a mess. I have awesome control on the sound with the mirafone, though.

What I need therefore, Is a MP that is a Conn Helleberg with a TU-29 rim. Im thinking about even doing screw rim and then i could get both rims for different uses, plus a *plastic* (nylon, etc) rim for outdoorsy stuff.

Before I contact any custom MP makers, can I get some estimates on what i can expect to shell out for such a contraption?

Thanks! ;-)
Doug "Doug Elliot a good palce to go?" G

Follow Ups: