Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thin brass on a Cerveney?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 13, 2002 at 16:17:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thin brass on a Cerveney? posted by InkyDaveB on June 13, 2002 at 15:53:15:

Well, your budget is a bit bigger than I expected. Here are good instruments in your price range:

New:

VMI 2103--A solid rotary four-valve BBb tuba that won't cause you the slightest embarassment in any community band. These are sometimes relabeled: F. Schmidt is a current alternate label for the same instrument.

Jupiter 582--A front-action piston tuba with a good sound and reasonable build quality.

Cerveny 681--more variable than the VMI, so the opinion of a tuba player you trust will help you find a good one.

St. Petersburg--medium build quality, but not bad-sounding. At a lower price, these are good deal, but in this range your better off with instruments above, unless you find one that speaks to you.

For a little more (say, mid-3000's up to $4K):

King 2341, new style--This front-action piston tuba is getting rave reviews from everyone, but I have found them to be variable. The good ones are really nice.

Miraphone S-186--You can't go wrong with this workhorse. It plays easily and in tune, and it's one of the most serviceable and repairable tubas on the market.

Meinl-Weston Model 25--A little darker sounding than the Miraphone, but most of what can be said for the Miraphone applies here, too.

VMI 3301--Front-action piston tuba that is a bit bigger than the King and a solid performer.

Used:

Under $3000:

King 2341, old style--Front-action piston tuba with interchangeable bells. Good ones will serve you well, but get one with an upright bell and four valves.

Miraphone 186--These show up reasonably often in pretty good condition for this price and less. I'd take a used Miraphone in excellent condition over any of the new choices in this price range, but that opinion is not universal.

Better BBb tubas for strong players include the Miraphone 191 and the Willson 3100, but they range from more expensive to much more expensive.

Rick "who thinks it's still hard to beat a Miraphone" Denney

Follow Ups: