Re: Re: Re: Re: Thin brass on a Cerveney?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by InkyDaveB on June 13, 2002 at 15:53:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Thin brass on a Cerveney? posted by Rick Denney on June 13, 2002 at 15:45:56:

Thanks again for the complete follow-up. I have heard others repeat the philosophy they learned from fathers/grandfathers... "If you're going to buy a tool, decide whether or not you need it, and then go out and buy the best one [quality] you can afford."

With that in mind, I've been considering this (buying a tuba/getting back "into it") for a few years now, and I've only recently had the money to spend. I'd like to get middle of the road - I don't need a $7K horn, but then again, I wouldn't mind spending ~$3K to get something that sounds nice (and looks nice too, since one of the selling points to the wife is if she has to look at a huge "ugly" brass instrument, it better be nice and purty an' shiney).

I'd rather spend a few hundred more on a something that the consensus agrees has a better sound (even if at first my terrible playing won't bring it out) than go through the hassle of getting a cheaper horn, and then having to sell/buy something nicer farther down the road.

Follow Ups: