Re: Re: Teaching woes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 19, 2002 at 10:56:38:

In Reply to: Re: Teaching woes posted by Carroll on June 18, 2002 at 22:50:11:

Ooh, that's tough.

I suppose it depends on the student's objectives. If she wants to be a professional, then her work in this area should take priority over other activities. But if she just wants to get better and enjoy greater skill as a hobbyist, then she will have to find the balance between this and other priorities.

The only time a professional teacher should automatically fire a student is if the check bounces. (Of course, teachers and students work out what will be paid, and the teacher is free to consider the student's situation in setting a price. Once the price is set, though, the student must pay it.) If the student isn't making useful progress, which isn't the case here, then the teacher may refer her to a teacher with more patience or time to waste.

I'd ask the student if weekly lessons are too frequent. If she alternates, it's possible that the workload is just too much to fit in with other priorities, in which case bi-weekly lessons might solve the problem. Progress will be slower, but more steady, without wasting anyone's time. Of course, if her lessons are part of a college program designed to take her to professional status, then she is required to maintain a certain pace. But I suspect if that were the case, it would not have come as a question on Tubenet.

Rick "a believer in the team concept of teaching and learning" Denney

Follow Ups: