Re: Copywright vs. Punishment

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Tyler on June 25, 2002 at 00:08:16:

In Reply to: Copywright vs. Punishment posted by Matt G on June 24, 2002 at 13:47:22:

Yes, there are times when copying music is legal but I like the way the band director handles it in the band my grandchildren attend. All the music is reasonably new (the band is only five years old). At the end of a concert the students hand in their music. For any missing copies two dollars are substituted. Replacement copies are ordered with this money. The sets remain complete. One copy senario I have heard of (but can't swear to) is if the director drops sections of the music and/or repeats sections to the point the music would be badly defaced, a copy can be made and altered, but!!!! the original must be in the performers possesion at the concert, and the copy must be destroyed at the end of the performance. I don't believe you can make additional copies just because you have a large section. Either share a stand or purchase additional individual copies. You don't have to purchase an entire set anymore, individual parts are available.
Jim Tyler

Follow Ups: