Playing a Famous Instrument

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daniel C. Oberloh on June 03, 2003 at 02:01:05:

In a previous posting David submitted an interesting thought, unfortunately it went in a less interesting direction then I had hoped it would. So I thought I would run it up the flag pole again to see if anyone might have something in the way of instruments that belonged to one of the "big shots". In other words a player from the past of some renown. Personally, I am not so much interested in horns belonging to musicians of the present i.e. Mr Deck, Self, Johnson etc. all great players but not quite what I had in mind. My own interest would be more in the instruments of early players such as August Helleberg, Herman Conrad, Emil Mix (all with the Sousa Band at one time or another), Carl Preble (euphonium with Sousa in the late teens and early 20's) Any one not standing after 1980 is fair game. if you don't own it, let us know where they are! Museums? Private collections? Bill Bell's instruments are also of interest though Joe S. pointed out that there is a difference in whether it was there instrument personally or just in there possession at one time or another. Mr. Jacobs instruments are for the most part accounted for. But all stories related to there acquisition and past owners are also interesting and in my opinion worth sharing. come on I know they are out there so fess up!

Daniel C. Oberloh
Repair technician to the stars (Floyd and Emma Star of Orting Wa.)

Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works
www.oberloh.com

Follow Ups: