Re: Playing a Famous Instrument

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Grant on June 03, 2003 at 21:23:12:

In Reply to: Playing a Famous Instrument posted by Daniel C. Oberloh on June 03, 2003 at 02:01:05:

I owned a "Cerveny Wolfstein" 4 valve CC with string action valves that I traded a BB-flat for from Gerald L????? while I was a junior at West Virginia University around 1980. It was believed to have been built around the 1930's and those who knew the Hellebergs thought it was made to their specifications as a "pit" horn. It was short and squat with a really fat bore. Response was fantastic. The 4th slide had an extension put on at some point making the 4th valve 2.5 steps (? - the equivelant to 1 + 3). Prior to that, the 4th valve was equivelant to a flat 2+3. This was one of the reasons "those in the know" thought the horn may have belonged of the Hellebergs. I sold the horn a number of years ago to Sam Green in Cincinnati. Sam said that Fred Gieb also had horns like this when Sam was younger and thus the interest he had in the horn. When I sold him mine, he had a smaller version in his studio. Neat old horns. Jamie Hafner (retired tuba instructor at University of Toledo, Ohio) had a smaller version of my horn that...get this....was copper!!!! Really kind of wierd looking. Played great. I have no knowledge of its history or current whereabouts.

Hope this was off interest.
Michael Grant

Follow Ups: