What do you consider "good intonation?"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on June 03, 2003 at 13:53:04:

I've seen many horns advertised here and elsewhere as having "good intonation". I've seen people advertise horns with quirky, but workable intonation; OR only have to pull slides or use alternate fingerings for a couple of notes; OR no slide pulling necessary. I used to know a few students and a well known player/teacher who looked for a horn that #1. played in tune with itself -no slide pulling/alt fingerings, then #2. good sound. That always sounded backwards to me. I always thought you should find a horn that makes the sound you want, and if you can play it in tune using reasonable means (again, subjective) then buy that horn. Every horn I've ever owned (including a 186CC and 188) required some slide moving or an alternate fingering or two. I personally thought that was within reason. I never thought of it as "workable". That word seems to carry a negative connotation. I hope to buy another horn soon, but I'm leary of going through the hassle and costs of trying/buying from an idividual because of differing opinions on good intonation, good response, good low range, etc. That inspired me to ask: What criteria do you use in determining what is "good intonation"? Yes, I know I can go to Boston, Dillons, etc., to try many horns and find the best one, but that's not always the easiest option. Did it at Custom 12 years ago, and it was worth it, though it was an expensive trip. That was before wife, kids, and real life obligations. Thanks for your thoughts.
Doc

Follow Ups: