Re: Re: New tuba for HS band - recommendations?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 04, 2003 at 13:55:05:

In Reply to: Re: New tuba for HS band - recommendations? posted by dp's opinion... on June 04, 2003 at 13:05:50:

Joe said something that I've been checking out with band directors around here, and I've been a bit surprised to find general agreement: Pistons are more durable in school environments. Rotary mechanisms are all exposed and subject to damage from impact and contact with the floor. About the worst that can happen to pistons is the stem can get broken off. A broken stem is pretty easy for a tech to replace. Just about any other fault except excessive wear can be fixed with a good cleaning, and that cleaning can be done even by students.

Rotary valves, on the other hand, require experts to replace the corks so that they align properly, and routine cleaning isn't hard but requires disassembly and assembly techniques beyond the skill of typical students and most band directors.

Joe based his remarks on the instruments coming into his shop, and from the perspective of one who usually uses rotary valves for his own instruments.

Thus, I would recommend the Kings--the latest batch seem to be more consistent than last year's models. But I would buy them with hard cases and require the students to use them.

Rick "who doesn't disagree that a section of 186 players would have little to complain about" Denney

Follow Ups: