Re: Re: Instrument freezing... Whats the deal?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on June 05, 2003 at 21:49:26:

In Reply to: Re: Instrument freezing... Whats the deal? posted by Steve Inman on June 04, 2003 at 13:36:35:

Steve,
I have no formal training in metallurgy, but I do know that there are so many variables in instruments that no particularly favorable outcome can be guaranteed. And, there is so much variation from one human to the next that there is no guarantee that anyone would like the results.

I know of a test where a new Bach Stradivarius ML180 trumpet was bought by a music school, and several trumpeters on faculty all thought it played sub-par. It was sent for cryogenic treatment, and when it returned, the faculty was divided in opinion as to whether it was better or worse.

I am convinced that there is nothing that could be accomplished by cryogenic treatment that could not be done better with a thorough re-build of the instrument. Many times, just releasing the tension in the braces is all that is needed. If one were to completely anneal a tuba, it would probably play great at low dynamics but not project particularly well at higher dynamics. I am convinced that cryogenic treating does alter the molecular pattern and stress level of the metal, but I'm not convinced that it is desirable, unless maybe you are a french horn player that wants to play very quietly in a woodwind quintet. I would not recommend it for any tuba.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: