Re: Re: Re: Instrument freezing... Whats the deal?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by F Tubist on June 05, 2003 at 22:07:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Instrument freezing... Whats the deal? posted by Lee Stofer on June 05, 2003 at 21:49:26:

My tuba, a Yamaha 822F, was frozen several years ago. It wasn't new at the time, and had suffered some damage here and there (airlines, an onstage fall, etc)which, during repair, probably introduced some stress into the instrument. I took it to The BrassBow for a chemical clean, and as Wayne was just getting into the cryo process, he offered me a deal on the treatment. When it was done, (no damage to the finish of the horn)I didn't really notice much difference, but my colleagues all commented that they thought I was getting more sound and projection for my effort than before. My understanding is that the process is supposed to relieve manufacturing and assembly stresses, but not to the point of "annealing" the metal. I certainly did not notice that the metal of my tuba was softer after the process. I also imagine that the cost of this process (between $300-400 last time I checked) would be far far less than a rebuild of the instrument.

Follow Ups: