Re: solid german silver Alexander CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ted Cox on June 12, 2003 at 14:12:32:

In Reply to: solid german silver Alexander CC posted by dp on June 12, 2003 at 13:42:26:

I was told about 10 years ago now by Anton Alexander himself that only 5 or 6 of these solid nickel-silver Alex's exist. I happen to own one, a 5-valve 163 C and I love it.
Mine was made in 1964. I only know this because my very first tuba teacher, Harold Strand ordered it for a student of his at the time. Apparently it cost $450 brand new with a hard case, (I have that too). For another $45, Alexander would add a 5th valve of your choice. Mine has a flat half step fifth valve, which probably sounds pretty odd, but it works very well. Michael Lind owned at one time a nickel-silver F and Sam Pilafian told me that Connie Weldon had a Bb nickel-silver Alex. I've played another C, almost like mine that Matt Moore in Utah owned. Perhaps that is the same one you are playing now. If it is that horn, I would have bought it myself if I had had the money. I really liked it, in many ways better than mine. These horns are heavy and make a different sound than the standard brass Alex's. The overall response is a little slower but the projection is better. You can play quite loud without the sound distorting too.
Please feel free to contact me if you think I can be of any further help to you.

Follow Ups: