Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: use of F tubas in Europe

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 16, 2003 at 17:44:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: use of F tubas in Europe posted by me too. ;-) on June 16, 2003 at 17:00:41:

But the original point was that Fletcher first legitimized the Eb tuba for orchestral use in Britain (whether or not their production status forced him to), and that can be disproved by naming another British tuba player who used the Eb in an orchestra before Fletcher did. Hearing them isn't required, nor is fame. Of course, Fletcher's fame made the legitimizing process that much easier.

But the recording of Catelinet reflects the playing standards of a past era and it does not at all measure up to current standards of play, or to standards of performance typical in other places at that time. British orchestras have improved marvelously since that time, if that recording is representative. I was actually quite surprised by that recording. It is still available--I have it on CD--but I don't recall the details. I'll try and remember to look for it tonight.

Rick "who thinks Fletcher redefined tuba performance in Britain in more ways than instrument choice" Denney

Follow Ups: