Re: Musician's life in the Military

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by what a shame on June 17, 2003 at 19:50:16:

In Reply to: Musician's life in the Military posted by Curious on June 17, 2003 at 10:39:42:

This isn't an amswer to your question. But, I spent time in a D.C. band, and I hated it. Obviously, my experience colors my assessment of the gig now that I'm out, I certainly admit that. But honestly, I don't think I ever met a military musician in D.C. that was truly happy with the gig. It offers a lot, and though I hated my experience, I actually wouldn't trade it, strange though that might sound. I made a lot of lifelong friends and we all helped eachother get through the especially difficult times. But overall, I feel the military just is not an environment for the arts. I used to watch everybody from the back of the bus after the rally horrible ceremonial jobs -- every occupation has its humbling moments -- but watching these overqualified people sitting in sullen silence after a 4 hour funeral in 100 degree heat where "God of Our Fathers" was the most challenging chart... I realize I am editorializing but I felt everyone was really bereft. Miles away from the exciting and engaging experiences that led us all down a path to work hard enough, to be dedicated enough, to become good enough to earn the gig. You would always like to feel like your hard work paid off. I would have done a better job at a 4 hour funeral when I was 16. Those jobs are just a huge slap in the face for everyone in the band. There are a million rationalizations ... "the hours are good" "the benefits are great" "I get to play my horn for a living" "it's a very secure job" but, in the end, we all need to ask ourselves if it is GOOD WORK. I honestly can't relate to the opinion that it is.

There are so many great players in these groups, and I know there are a good share of disgruntled types in any performing ensemble. But I have to say, based on my own experience only, that I never met any military musician in D.C. who was truly happy with the gig. What does that say? To me, it speaks volumes.

Follow Ups: