Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any DAT's fs?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tigersound on June 24, 2003 at 13:09:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any DAT's fs? posted by Mary Ann on June 24, 2003 at 12:42:55:

Well, I bought a used Sony minidisc recorder that came with binaural mikes from Core-Sound up in Jersey. It sounds great, but I am waiting now for my external mike pre-amp to get here. Even though the recorder sounds very nice, it would distort at even some mezzo dynamics up close to my tuba because it lacked a low sensitivity setting. Actually, the model that I have is one of the lower-priced units, but is only 3 years old. It has the improved ATRAC compression. It lackes all of the gizmos that the high-priced models have, but has a great life-like sound.

I am not sure what type of mike the AT822, but I don't think it is a binaural mike. I personally prefer binaural(sp?) mikes for the all-around type sound. It catches room reverb and all of the sound in it. The AT822, even though much more expensive, is probably a more directional type of mike.

I believe you can get good mini-mikes for $75 or so. To get higher end mikes, you have to pay a lot more for just slightly better quality. Maybe you are looking for a more room-filling type recording, which is what binaural mikes get, though with a little less presence than the AT822. There are many different types of mikes that get a different sound.

Follow Ups: