Re: Re: Majoring in Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on March 05, 1999 at 10:30:04:

In Reply to: Re: Majoring in Music posted by Jay Bertolet on March 04, 1999 at 22:13:12:

Other than an extra theory and history course what does the performance major do that is above and beyond what an ed major does (at the undergraduate level)? At the university I attended (Florida State) I was an ed major and was the tubist in the wind and opera orchestra, a position I earned over performance majors.

There is an old saying that goes "those who can't play, teach". This is an unfortunate misnomer that is perpetuated by frustrated, underachieving ex-performance majors. Those who are worth their salt know this to be erroneous. I have yet to see a university offer an incoming freshman a scholarship based on his teaching ability. You have to be able to play. In order to teach, you must be able to do. Therefore, in that respect we are ALL performance majors.

You know, even some college graduates don't know what they want to do with their entire life, and I think that's ok. Thank God there is no law that cubbyholes your life based on your college degree. Some of the most interesting people I have met are still trying out different things at age 40! Oddly enough, they are financially stable, and happy people.

I graduated from school and became a teacher of music. After 4 years of such I decided I needed a change. Thank goodness I was a strong enough MUSICIAN that I was able to pick up the horn and make a living performing. If back in college I viewed my playing as a "fall-back" position, I would be in an awful fix.

If you love to play, become the best performer possible no matter what you happen to be studying in college. There are plenty of ex-performance majors who are selling hotdogs and plenty of ex-ed majors who have playing jobs (Doug Yeo anyone?). If you never reach the exalted status of playing in a mediocre orchestra and teaching at a mediocre college, simply based on the fact that there is no re-audition process that's ok isn't it?

Just do it.

Follow Ups: