Re: Re: Re: Majoring in Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 06, 1999 at 17:55:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Majoring in Music posted by Dave on March 05, 1999 at 10:30:04:

"Other than an extra theory and history course what does the performance major do that is above and beyond what an ed major does (at the undergraduate level)?"

PRACTICE! I mean this as no insult to "ed majors", I believe that "ed majors" actually work much harder overall than performance majors. But that is what I'm suggesting is the problem. The music education degree is so much more demanding, with such a larger core curriculum, that the music education major cannot focus as much on the performance of his/her primary instrument as the performance major. Most education degrees actually plan into the cirriculum for the private lessons part of the degree to decrease in hours near the end of the degree. Also, most music education degrees are 4 and 1/2 year degrees, with a semester of "student teaching". And there are all the other courses that education majors have to take like secondary instruments and teaching technique classes as well as the required courses for teaching certification. All this adds up to less possible time to spend on the instrument than the typical performance major has.

It sounds like you have made a successful life for yourself as an education major. Congrats! It just goes to show that there really are many paths to success. I agree with you about "frustrated, underachieving ex-performance majors" and have always felt that majoring in education as a fall back to performance was a good way to be unhappy. It shouldn't be a surprise that someone ends up in a teaching job they didn't really want and are frustrated about it. The best teachers are the ones who really want to do it and train with that career in mind.

I wish I understood what you meant by your comment about "playing in a mediocre orchestra and teaching at a mediocre college". If you care to elaborate, I'll be listening...

Follow Ups: