Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Projection

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 08, 1999 at 23:47:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Projection posted by Greg on March 08, 1999 at 21:20:25:

I'm sorry if your thread got a little off the subject. When I read "Johnny's" post, I had to ask for clarification. Such an assertion had to be either the most brilliant bit of genius or the most useless and inaccurate advice ever. It illustrates the strength and weakness of a public discussion of techniques. My experiences here on the Tube-Net have been overwhelmingly positive and I've gained some interesting perspectives on everything tuba. However, it bears repeating that everyone has their own perspectives and opinions and I would caution anyone not to just take advice posted here as gospel and drop whatever techniques they have developed. Try everything but choose wisely! And nothing is a substitute for a great private instructor. Having said that...

If you want more projection, I would explore 2 main avenues: Equipment and Technique. Equipment is the easiest to address. Are you satisfied with your tuba? If the metal your tuba is made of is thin, you could be losing sound through sympathetic vibration. You may want to take steps to deaden your bell or other strategic points on your tuba. You also may want to look into a "heavyweight" version of your mouthpiece. On standard mouthpieces there can be sound loss through sympathetic resonance of the mouthpiece wall. A thick walled version of your mouthpiece may limit such sound loss.

As far as technique is concerned, I would ask a simple question. Do you practice playing loud? I play the William Bell Daily Routine or the "Bell Scales" which include several sections where I play as loud as I possibly can. I believe this helps to strengthen the muscles necessary for loud playing and also helps to develop control of the loud sound so you aren't straining (and tightening) to control the loud sound. A good indication of whether you're playing correctly when you're playing loud is to use a tuner. If you're doing unusual things with the embouchure it will almost certainly affect your pitch accuracy. I think the bottom line for technique is to make sure you're playing a very centered, in tune sound which is not strained in any way. A good sound, with lots of fundamental frequency, will project the best.

Good luck hunting for the best sound!

Follow Ups: