Re: Re: Playing 2 or more types of tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on March 18, 1999 at 10:04:30:

In Reply to: Re: Playing 2 or more types of tubas posted by Jay Bertolet on March 18, 1999 at 09:37:37:

I would like to elaborate on this idea of playing in the realm of the various tubas. I agree with this 100%. I still think the basic learning process is the same between the instruments, so most of the concepts being learned on the big horn can be transposed directly onto the smaller horn. On the other hand, even though not really a double, the different pitched instruments are appropriate for different situations. Otherwise there would be no use for 2 to 3 to 5 to more instruments in any one player's arsenal.

This is why, when I am looking for an additional horn to add to my existing collection, I am looking for something which has different characteristics from what I already have. This is why I wouldn't buy 3 B&S F tubas. Instead I might buy a 5/4 Rudy Meinl CC, a B&S F, and a Willson Eb. They all three are vastly different in their approach to sound concepts.

Many people approach their F tubas like big contrabass tubas and sound like they are playing contrabass up an octave or so. As far as product goes, the different sized instruments should be approached as different animals. This is also what separates a great piccolo trumpet player from an ok piccolo trumpet player.

As Jay pointed out. If you are after the illustrious orchestral tubist's ring, then having multiple horns for the literature really is a must. If your goal is to play principal tuba in the US Marine Band, anyone know Cradler's home address ;), then both the job and the audition is readily possible on a single horn.

sean

Follow Ups: