Re: Mr. Jacobs OTHER tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on March 03, 2000 at 09:53:15:

In Reply to: Mr. Jacobs OTHER tubas posted by Steve Dedman on March 02, 2000 at 19:38:37:

In his final years, Mr Jacobs had a Canadian Brass / Getzen G-50 on loan. I removed it from the studio after he passed away and it started a bit of a debate - this was probably the last horn he played (he had a Miraphone 185 [that Fedderly later sold]at home he rarely played) and it needed a home. At that time I owned a CB-50 so that horn was sold and I bought that G-50 along with all the tarnish that came from the studio. A year later I got sick of playing a dirty horn and had Tenabe & co. clean it!

Other horns mentioned include a Holton B flat. A few years ago, I was in Tacoma Washington and Keating Johnson had a Holton B flat that he said was Mr. Jacobs'. This was probably the best B flat I had ever played. Mr Jacobs once told me that he prefered playing some things on B flat (what, I don't remember).

The Dahmels tuba was property of the CSO and legend says he threw it in the lake! I asked and he said he hid it in Orchestra Hall. During the slide tribute, we had a picture of the brass section with him and the beast (Arnold need a laugh during it). Someone called me up claiming they owned it and wanted the picture - another mystery.

Both the Alexander F and Boosey F seem to have gotten around through various owners. He bought both Alexander horns (a CC and F) from Hamburg and maybe the Alex CC was one of the horns Richard was refering to. Paul Haugan had the Boosey F and sold it a while ago.

There was a Minel Weston F (I think this was the horn he had with the picture on the Chicago Tribune Magazine with Clevenger and Herseth) and a euphonium (with a first valve slide cut for the Bydlo) that Mr Jacobs sold to Sheldon Kirshner who was his attorney. Sheldon still owns these horns.

Of couse there were others, a Rudy Minel 3/4 which was in the studio, the Miraphone 184 (Richard mentioned) that Roger Rocco bought from him, and an old Martin B flat with a recording bell that sat in his basment for years. Someone bought it a few years ago and I had to haul it away. Was I glad to get rid of it!

Finally, one you will never hear about. When he retired, he wanted to play trumpet again. Gizzy bought him a Jupiter Pocket Trumpet wich he kept in the top dresser drawer with his socks! When the eye problems started, the doctors said no to trumpet playing. His idea of playing trumpet again bit the dust.

Follow Ups: