Re: Why not a FF tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 09, 2000 at 21:56:49:

In Reply to: Why not a FF tuba? posted by Matt Walters on March 09, 2000 at 21:30:48:

No offense, but I have to say that the prospects of such a horn would be dubious at best, in my opinion. What exactly would you use it for? While it certainly might help the low range, it turns notes in the staff into relatively high notes. I would also think the response of such a tuba would be terrible. People are already shaving 1'+ off of BBb tubas in an attempt to make them respond quicker than they currently do (among other things). A FF tuba would be a step in the opposite direction. Having played on several of the so called BAT instruments, I can say that one thing I look for, in addition to the sound, is how easily the tuba plays. The good ones play like medium sized instruments despite their size and sound. Could you get such an effect on a FF tuba? And just how large would the bore have to be to remain proportional? This tuba could be the proverbial "widowmaker"!

And besides, considering my bent on the whole small tuba issue, I'd want one in EEb. A FF tuba wouldn't do me much good. Unless the FF stood for fortissimo...;-)

Follow Ups: