Re: Dallenbach tuba specs?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on March 13, 2001 at 20:42:27:

In Reply to: Dallenbach tuba specs? posted by Steve Inman on March 13, 2001 at 09:07:05:

Everything you ever wanted to know about Dallenbach tubas:

Here is the story on the Dallenbach tubas as I know it...

The original tuba that Chuck Dallenbach played in the 1970's upon formation of the group was a Miraphone 180-something. Then came the switch to a smaller more quintet appropriate instrument. The new horn was designed by Chuch Dallenbach and Renold Schilke and put together by Yamaha...however, the group did not have a contract to play a specific brand, so the tuba went un-noticed and was regarded as a one-of-a-kind item. Then (I think I have this correct) came the Yamaha contract, but not the same one they have today. I have heard that one of the conditions in the contract was that Chuck be allowed to play the same instrument. Yamaha said that they would not sign the contract if he wasn't going to play one of their instruments, so Yamaha decided to copy the horn so that they could say they built it and so that they could stamp Yamaha on it...this horn was the basis for the 621 that is available today. The Yamaha days came and went. At this point I have been told that Chuck had another tuba built for him, but I don't know who put it together. These horns were called simply Canadian Brass instruments and were marketed as "instruments of their own design." Then came the Getzen years...again because Chuck didn't want to change instruments, Getzen made a copy of it. These were sold to the public as the Getzen G50 or Canadian Brass 50. The Getzen days came and went, and before long Yamaha came back. Yamaha once again made a copy of Chuck's horn, which at the time was the Getzen, Yamaha also put the carbon fiber bell on it and put a huge white Yamaha logo on the side of it, hence the horn you see today. The carbon fiber bell first showed up on the Getzens and at one point was offered as a special order option on a new horn. I have only seen them live when he was playing his new Yamaha, which is a one-of-a-kind instrument...it is very different from a 621 and didn't look like an 821 (I think I got that number correct) either...it really was quite obvious that they tried to copy the old Getzen.

The Getzen specs are as follows:
5 valve CC tuba. Bore : .689 Bell diameter 19.25"

Follow Ups: