Re: Opinions on PT-6 ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill Jagnow on March 14, 2001 at 16:03:23:

In Reply to: Opinions on PT-6 ? posted by Tim on March 14, 2001 at 05:20:35:

Well, I own a PT-6 rotary so my opinions only apply to that horn. I haven't played the piston enough to have any solid opinions on it...

Probably the best thing about the PT-6 is that it is very easy as far as intonation goes. You really don't have to do much to get it in tune. Many apply to the theory that you should find a horn that helps you achieve the best possible sound regardless of what the intonation's like, nevertheless, if you don't feel like fighting intonation battles, the PT-6 is strong in that respect.

Also, I find that the PT-6 is very conducive (sp?) to producing a good sound. I realize that a good sound comes from a good player and not a good horn; nevertheless, some horns are easier to produce good sounds on than others. The PT-6 is one of these horns.

The high range slots very easily and resonates well.

The low range, on the other hand, seems to be stuffy in comparison to other horns. It will probably take some extra effort to get the extreme low range ("low" G and below) to sound good.

Finally, I've found some horns that allow easier soft dynamics than the PT-6. So you could find a better horn, even in 5/4 or 6/4 size, in that respect.

Overall, however, the PT-6 rotary is a good choice if you're looking for a good all-around 5/4 CC rotary. I've also found that it's a comfortable fit ergonomics-wise, but then I'm 6'1", so if you're of a dramatically different size and shape, you might have a different experience.

One last thing: The major drawback with this horn is the cost. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only Custom Music in Detroit sells Perantuccis (in the states, at least.) Expect to spend upwards of $9000 on a PT-6 if you want one new. However, used PT-6s seem to crop up all the time on this BBS, and they are usually at $6-7000.

Follow Ups: