"Good" BBb tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on March 19, 2001 at 12:14:08:

Okay BBS folks, here's your challenge du jour,

[dual posting from tubaeuph]

Whilst recently talking with an experienced tubaeuph list member, I asked the age-old BBb-vs-CC question. His opinion mirrored a few others I've received during the past few months of postings on this subject. His opinion was something like,

"Today, you should be able to find a BBb with quality/playability that rivals a CC tuba. In years gone by, this might not have been the case, but today, to get a good quality tuba, you don't need to feel constrained to switch to CC if your personal situation suggests BBb would be a better choice. You *can* find a quality BBb tuba in today's market."

Let's assume I wanted to follow this advice and buy a good quality, easily playable 4/4 BBb tuba. What would you recommend?

(The reason I'm posting this, is that when I asked my anonymous friend this question, he was rather at a loss to come up with a list of candidates in the key of BBb. The PT-1 came to his mind, but that was about all. He wasn't sure he would have recommended a 186BBb as fitting this category of "newer" BBb designs with the same type of playing characteristics as some CC tubas have. What are your collective thoughts?)

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: