Re: FED UP!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam I Am on March 25, 2001 at 04:47:03:

In Reply to: FED UP!!! posted by Dennis AsKew on March 23, 2001 at 11:23:06:

Well, maybe I don't visit this site enough! I didn't realize such a roaring controversy was raging through the TUBA/ITEA world! Some very valid points have been raised, and some very heated frustration seems to be brewing.
I would have to agree that Tubenet is the single most informative resource I have found for Tuba players of any level. I find much here that goes WAY beyond my amateur "playing for fun", but much that relates to what I enjoy most about being a Tuba Player: having fun & making Music!
If the TUBA/ITEA 'Powers that be' are having trouble sustaining a membership, doesn't it make sense to come to the Online 'Bible' fot the craft and see why it works? Granted, there are no membership fees, but there is also no 'Taxation without representation' either. I first heard about TUBA when in Junior High School in the mid-80's. I had the opportunity to read a journal, and didn't join because a)I didn't have the money (being in Canada, the exchange really sucks your allowance at age 12) and b)there was nothing in the journal I could relate to.
I have since looked up the TUBA organization every few years, and have still not joined for the simple reason that it seemed like I would be paying into an organization that would facilitate the aggrandization of it's leaders at the cost of it's membership (hence the 'taxation' quip). If TUBA/ITEA is truly serious about maintaining a membership, then one thing has to happen first. The current leaders need to make a plan of action. Don't just gripe and whine back and forth, but decide on a direction, plan your course according to resources, and MAKE IT WORK! Personally, I would like to see TUBA/ITEA become more accesible and useful to the hobbyist, as well as the academic, but if it chooses to become an elitist organization with low membership and limited application, it won't kill me. Especially since we have this site to continue an open and informative dialogue between like minded individuals. But please, if you are a member of TUBA/ITEA, either make a difference or get out, because the only thing worse than taxation without representation is disgruntled apathy. The only way a change will come is if you make it happen.
Good Luck!

Follow Ups: