FED UP!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis AsKew on March 23, 2001 at 11:23:06:

OK, I'll admit it--I'm fed up with all the ITEA bashing.

I've been a member for nearly 20 years (since I went to college) I will admit to the fact that part of the reason I voted for the name change is that as one who is in academia, I have found it difficult to avoid the smirk and lact of respect that TUBA caused in the reaction of upper level administrators--when you are trying to justify some of the things you do and get a smirk/chuckle in return just because of the name--that just gets old. HOWEVER, I agree that the moniker of TUBA was absolutely one of the best names going. Period.

Now, all you folks who are bashing the organization left and right--where are your solutions? Where are your suggestions? Have any of you actually stayed involved long enough, written letters, emails, made phone calls to try and get answers to your questions? OR do you just prefer to sit back and complain? Believe it or not, there are those of us in academia, as long time members, who are trying to effect change. We know about the "clubby" aspects--and want to some degree to change that. What kinds of articles do you want to read? Have you told anyone? OR have you just complained about it--or thought "ah, this is a waste" and never thought about what you want to see?

From my vantage point, a large part of the problem is that membership has remained low--why? because many join for a short period of time and leave because it doesn't seem to be worth their time. I've only heard of a few isolated cases where folks have voiced concerns and then followed up trying to change the problem. The result is a relatively small organization which MUST rely on interested parties to volunteer to do everything. IF the membership were significantly up, to cover costs better, then we could concievably wind up with a few paid staff who then would be responsible to make it work--for everyone. With basically everything that goes on in the organization a volunteer effort--(i.e. everyone has a fulltime job--does ITEA "during the off hours") many things that some of you probably want just don't happen. It's no wonder we have so many ads in the Journal--we have to have that income to help pay for the publication expenses... Further, for many years, the Journal was the primary way to find out abou those products....

Understanding what you want is the only way ITEA can effectively change--don't just bash--offer suggestion. I'll gladly listen to anything anyone has to offer. I'm not saying "you suggest it-it will change" what I am saying is, if you want a better organization, at least make decent suggestions for change. Nor am I speaking on behalf of the ITEA exec. committee--I'm own my own here, and probably now out on a limb. However, decent suggestions go far......

Here's my email address and phone # dwaskew(AT)uncg.edu 336.334.5002

Dennis

Follow Ups: