Re: Re: War Requiem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on March 15, 2002 at 09:36:56:

In Reply to: Re: War Requiem posted by Jay Bertolet on March 15, 2002 at 09:17:11:

Best for another thread but Jay,

Besides all of the blame that is put on marketing departments and low endowments...

Do you agree with me that one of the BIG problems with struggling orchestras is that their music directors need to consider at least one big "draw" (warhorse, chestnut,actually-known guest soloist, etc.) per concert series - whether the music directors want to or not?

The music-in-the-schools stuff is fine, but I believe that little of it "sticks", and (frankly) most of this (because of the money sources and requirements) does not target any real potential future audience. 30-second T.V. ads playing a 15-20 second clip of an AUDIENCE-FAMILIAR tune (Lohengrin, Beethoven, even Rossini, etc.) from the concert MIGHT bring out 20-40 (at least pay for the commercials, and possibly get 'em into the habit of coming) more patrons per concert (??).

I think many m.d.'s, as far as drawing crowds and expanding appeal, have their heads up in a dark hole.

Your thoughts?

Follow Ups: