Re: tuba purchase advice...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick on March 23, 2002 at 10:21:28:

In Reply to: tuba purchase advice... posted by Chris τΏτ on March 22, 2002 at 13:46:43:

Chris:

I've been in the same spot. I am not a pro player so my opinions may not go the same way as others.

IMHO there are not any disadvantages of a used horn over new, especially in your position.

My suggestion would be:

1. contact some of the pro's in town, i.e. tuba profs at local colleges, the local symphony pro, other local pros and put the word out that you are looking for a decent, inexpensive BBb horn. With a little bargain hunting something will pop up within a few months. It may take little longer but you are more likely to find a good buy that getting in a rush, calling up some of the big shops and ending up regretting your decision a year down the line. Make sure to be very cordial and respect these folks time... You never know what they were doing before they picked up the phone.
2. Visit the college music building and check the bulletin boards to see who might be selling off their horn at the end of the school year.

3. Frequent this BBS and keep and watch the for sale postings

4. Find out who some of the dealers are... Dillons (NJ), Baltimore Brass, The Brasswind, Mid-South Music (Memphis), and some place in the Dakotas seem to have a good rolling inventory of used equipment or seem to know who might be needing to unload a horn.

If I was in your spot (this is my opinion) - I'd stay away from the St. Petes, Jingboos, and the guy who sells the $500 tuba on e-*ay. Decent "bargain" tubas that I've heard are the little Werils, the Schmidt's, VMI 2103, and some used Miraphones. Meinl Westons are well built and seem to last forever. The King 2341s and older Conn bell front horns seem to have a big cult following so they might also be a good buy.

Good luck!

Rick

Follow Ups: