Re: Purchase considerations...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 01, 2003 at 20:09:27:

In Reply to: Purchase considerations... posted by SHS Tubamaster on March 01, 2003 at 17:11:58:

There are Neptunes and Neptunes. Not a horn I'd buy sight unseen.

What's special about Alexanders? Their sound. Some of them present quite a few challenges in other departments, and only an amazing sound would make it worth the trouble.

In my opinion, the 601 is a good horn if you are real horse and can move lots of air (assuming you find a good one). I would not at all consider that a general-purpose instrument for most people (especially for me).

Not many folks have played the 189's, because there aren't many to be played. One horn not on your list is the 191, which I might be tempted to consider over the 1291. The 191 is more open and a little less slotty, though I've only played one of each, and the 1291 I played was in the elephant room of the Army conference. I think in practical terms your choices will be the 186, 191, and 1291--the others don't seem to be usually stocked. Of those, the 186 is easiest to play and is extremely versatile, and the 191 has the biggest sound if you can move the air. All are great horns.

If you can find a good Holton, then kiss the ground and buy it. But I wouldn't want it as my only tuba--it's just too cavernous for some applications. It isn't a question of ease or dynamic range--the Holton plays as softly as my F tuba--it's a question of timbre. The Holton is so resonant that it will not sound right, for example, in a quintet, unless the other players can make the same sorts of sounds. Your sound will contrast the trombone as much as a horn will contrast a trumpet, and that isn't appropriate for lots of quintet lit. I also wouldn't use it in a beer-tent polka band, because it doesn't have the laser quality that you need to cut through high noise levels. It puts a floor under the sound, and sometimes you need a spear. For that, the 186 Miraphone is awfully hard to beat.

Rick "offering one man's opinion" Denney

Follow Ups: