Re: new thread - old topic ( NOT BBb vs. CC)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on March 03, 2003 at 22:31:28:

In Reply to: new thread - old topic ( NOT BBb vs. CC) posted by JoeS on March 02, 2003 at 23:24:15:

Which came first the chicken or the egg? Was the student good in math because he/she studied music or was he/she good in both because he is a smart kid? Chances are the same part of the brain is used for both functions, so if you are good in one chances are you will be good in the other. I never was one who believed in selling your music program with its "extra" benefits. Music may help math or whatever, but there is only one place where a student will learn the qualities of music and that is by studying music.

I do know one thing from my years of teaching, if a student can not read well (words that is), most likely he/she will not be able to read music either. He/She may have a good ear for pitch and fell for rhythms, but if they can not process written information they will not be able to read music either. It always amazes me how kids can not learn the simplest songs using five notes. Anyway sounds like that could be another post entirely.
ken k

Follow Ups: