new thread - old topic ( NOT BBb vs. CC)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JoeS on March 02, 2003 at 23:24:15:

Almost every day, I encounter educators, news-readers (TV / radio), and publications which all state that

"Music makes kids do better in math."

I believe this to be a weak, if not societally detrimental pro-music education argument, simply because people are being encouraged to do the right thing for the wrong reason. All that this could possibly lead to (in my view) is these typical throw-away society suburbanite parents (and believe me, they are probably in the majority. I deal with them every day of my life.) believing that if their kids are "exposed" to music (as if it were a "pill" or some other type of therapeutic treatment) this will "help their grades".

The problem is that this does not encourage children to embrace (much less pursue ) music, but rather to engage music "just enough" to help them in other pursuits...and this will all lead to more and more mediocrity in school ensembles along with continued dwindling patronage of professional symphony orchestra and other concerts (ie: "Why should I go to a symphony concert this afternoon? I already went to church and listened to a bad sermon."...etc.)

Music for the sake of enrichment and fulfillment ("fun", if you will) - in the same way that the physical and academic arts are appreciated - must be the way that music is engaged. Music appreciation and musical ability (just like language, math, and science appreciation and ability ) must be demonstrated by their advocates to be essential to the human psyche and to the society of man...

...This is already obvious to almost everyone - regardless of their level of sophistication. What individual can be found who does not desire to be engaged with some sort of music at some level? This simpler, direct approach in the advocation of music education will not be a "hard sell". In my view, the "music helps math" argument is just as apologetic for music in general as the "Oboe will get you a college scholarship." is for oboe playing. "Music" can stand alone without defending its pursuit by connecting it to other disciplines...

DISCUSS !!!

Follow Ups: