Re: Buying first tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Lewis on March 10, 2003 at 22:14:11:

In Reply to: Buying first tuba posted by Jim P. on March 10, 2003 at 19:23:20:

My first inclination is to tell you to ignore what anybody says, go out and try out a bunch of horns and buy the one that plays the best for you. You might see what your local high school has on hand and try theirs out. What about contacting someone at a nearby college or university? See if your friend will let you try out his horn. If you don't have access to a store that can provide you with some choices then you might consider consulting with some one like Matt Walters at Dillon Music. Rick Denney and Lee Stofer have both been recommended, also. The bottom line is, as has already been pointed out, picking an instrument is a very personal type of selection process. One that fits Rick, Lee, Matt, or me may or may not fit your playing abilities or style. Especially since this is your first purchase, a crap shoot may not be the best alternative. Also, consider what type of sound you prefer in an instrument. Do you like a big fat sound or something less than booming. See what I mean? There's more to consider than just price and availability. Good luck and let us all know what you pick out...just out of curiousity.

Follow Ups: