Re: Re: Buying first tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 10, 2003 at 23:54:48:

In Reply to: Re: Buying first tuba posted by alan johnson on March 10, 2003 at 22:19:28:

With all due respect, this does not seem at all realistic to me. I have played in perhaps 10 bands and two orchestras in my life. Orchestra positions for amateurs are really rare, just as they are for pros, because an orchestra has only one tuba player. And string players are rare, too, so amateur orchestras are probably outnumbered by community bands 100 to 1.

But even if the fellow was lucky enough to be able to play in an orchestra, he could play a versatile BBb tuba just as easily as a C. I know; I did it. There's no way anyone other than the player would be able to tell the difference.

But my main reason for recommending BBb tubas for players like him is that he will get much more tuba for the money. The 186 CC you recommend will cost him a solid thousand bucks more than a BBb 186, unless it has a fifth valve, in which case it will be 1500 or 2000 bucks more. I don't see too many CC 186's in excellent condition selling for less than $4000, and I can point you to two used 186 BBb's in great condition for a thousand less.

So, I like your recommendation of a 186, but I think it's silly for a returning community-band amateur to consider a CC tuba.

Rick "who wishes he could find an amateur orchestra gig" Denney

Follow Ups: