Re: Shall tubas have their own scale systems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on March 12, 2003 at 09:45:01:

In Reply to: Shall tubas have their own scale systems posted by Klaus on March 11, 2003 at 21:18:10:

Dear Klaus,

I cannot disagree with your views. It is worthwhile to strive to have things come together musically, and that includes ensemble intonation. Ensemble intonation is much more complex than adhering to the equally-tempered scale, and that is certainly true, whether in the best ensembles or the worst. However, it is also true that that every individual musician's ability to play scales and arpeggios in tune individually is a basic starting point. The ability to play in tune with the ensemble, wherever it is pitch-wise, is the finishing point.

We should also consider that TubeNet is populated by musicians at all skill levels, including those without good ears and/or without the commitment and time to practice a lot. And, most importantly, many participants seem not to be seeing a teacher regularly, so they are not getting regular thoughtful criticism and advice. For those of us who are serious about music and have good ears, our choice is to attempt to drive away those who seem to have lesser commitments to music (or set too difficult goals for them), or to welcome everyone. My preference is to welcome everyone, with appropriate advice (tailored to each), and encouragement. After all, even if some returning tubists never become really good musicians, they certainly will become great fans of the tuba, and music in general.

You are critical of some advice offered to tuba returnees: You probably can't play in tune, and your section mates probably can't either, so get the same kind of instrument that your section mates will probably have: BBb. At least your section's out-of-tuneness will be matching. A further addition to this advice is: You probably will have terrible trouble learning any tuba fingerings that are different from your barely-remembered fingerings from years ago, so don't even consider a tuba in a different pitch from the one you learned long ago: BBb. Further, don't bother trying a lot of tubas as you won't be able to tell the difference; just buy tuba X or tuba Y.

Well, this advice may be the best for a few people; therefore, I can't call it wrong. However, this may be the worst advice for some others. Although the most prolific giver of this advice is careful to add disclaimers, disclosing his amateur status and his own problems playing well, the very eloquence and volume of the advice gives it a strength it does not deserve. For example, Someone with a good ear and a good teacher and a commitment to practice does not need the such a crutch as a tuba that is equally out of tune as those of his section mates. With the assistance of a good teacher, the returnee can try out a number of tubas, and pick one that will assist in realizing the sound concept he or she wants to strive for. Furthermore, although some people seem to find learning a new set of fingerings a big obstacle, there are others who find that learning fingerings is such a tiny part of learning tuba that the learning fingerings part should be considered trivial. In other words, that "just consider a BBb only" advice should have a large disclaimer: "This advice is for those without a good ear, who do not intend to get a good teacher or practice very much." [Yes, that's too undiplomatic, but I'm trying to make a point here.]

Personally, I don't care what pitch a tuba is in, or what fingerings it requires. I care about how it helps me get the sound I want. I'm a returnee (since last April), and I'm having a wonderful time. I will never be a great player, but I also won't be just a hacker. I love contributing to an ensemble, and with hard work (and an excellent teacher) I continue to improve.

Here's an example of the importance of good tuba pitch. At last night's band rehearsal, the higher instruments had a chord (without tubas). They were having trouble getting it in good tune. The director asked the tubas to play the root of the chord, and we promptly sounded an Eb (without any beats, I might add). With this support, the rest of the band was able to pull into playing a very harmonious chord. I like having such a responsible job in an ensemble, and it is my pleasure to take it seriously.

Finally, I think it would be a good idea if TubeNet had some articles on starting or coming back to the tuba. It would be great if several viewpoints were represented, and I would like to especially suggest that Rick Denny and Klaus (as well as some others) distill some advice from their posts. That way, we could have a few different kinds of advice, suitable for a few different kinds of beginner or returnee. [You see, I don't disagree with Rick either; I just don't think his advice is by any means for all.] Potential beginners and returnees could read, and decide what applied to them. No arguments needed!

Regards,
Allen Walker
pipes2000[AT]theatreorgans.com
substitute (AT) for [AT]

Follow Ups: