Re: Re: First Tuba Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mark on April 01, 2003 at 16:57:07:

In Reply to: Re: First Tuba Audition posted by Rick Denney on April 01, 2003 at 11:01:09:

I disagree slightly, but it's nothing personal. Why do we suggest warming up differently for auditions than we do when we just go and rehearse? I would think that spending months/weeks preparing for an audition, puts your mind/chops into a routine that it becomes comfortable with and thus becomes more efficient at doing its job. I would agree that fresh chops are a good thing to have. But if you're used to warming up for 30-45 minutes a day, then rehearsing your music, that any variation on time alotment, exercises, and what you do between exercises will throw off what you've been programming yourself to do. If I'm nailing excerpts everytime I play them, while warming up for a long time with a cup of coffee next to me, why would a do anything but that on an audition day? Of course my argument is totally invalid if you warmup in segments every day, then you would be used to it.
I think this is more of a pedagogical/philosophical issue than one of actual music making.

Follow Ups: