Re: Re: Re: Life Choices... Passion vs Practical

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on March 05, 2004 at 16:46:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Life Choices... Passion vs Practical posted by Joe Baker on March 05, 2004 at 15:48:42:

Rick & Joe, you have really gotten into some very deep and important matters. It caused me to go back and reread the entire thread. I believe Rick and Joe have said some extremely important and wise things in their posts, here. I would like to try to add to what they have said, however I'm not certain I can put it into words. I will try.

First of all, Rick is entirely correct in cautioning against letting the job define you. Happiness is indeed a choice we make for ourselves. In my profession as a school band director, I have had times where I have had great satisfaction, and many more where I have had little fulfillment. And where I don't(can't) completely shut that part of my life out from the rest of it, my job doesn't controll my every thought. There are also many things which are far more important in life that how well or fulfilling things are at work. I, myself, have chosen to be happy.

To this, Joe has added that he looked around and discovered he HAD the life he wanted. I believe many of us overlook the things we have. Sometimes things are a lot better than we think they are. We are often so driven to GET things, that we don't always take inventory of what we have. I, for one, spent mcuh of my life feeling sorry for myself. I thought I was an extremely unlucky person. It was after many years that I finally figured out that the truth is quite to the contrary. I am an extremely fortunate man.

I have also long agreed with the concept of passion in one's life. I believe that in order for one to have a truly good life, one needs to find what one is passionate about and pursue that with passion. This does not imply that one must find that passion in one's vocation; although this would certainly be nice. I don't think this is often to be found.

One further note: Joe talks about trying to be a family man. I have come to have greater and greater respect for family men. By reading Joe's posts over the past couple of years, it has been evident to me that he is a family man. I agree with his comment that we don't hear of that much anymore. Joe, that is too bad. As much as I enjoy playing tuba(and it ranks near or at the very top of my list of things I like to do), my family is much more important to me.

I hope I haven't rambled too much. Rick, Joe: Thank you for your posts, these and others you have written. You are an asset to this board and I greatly appreciate your sharing your knowledge and wisdom with the rest of us.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Texas

Follow Ups: