Re: Re: Re: Re: Life Choices... Passion vs Practical

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Lewis on March 05, 2004 at 20:31:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Life Choices... Passion vs Practical posted by TubaRay on March 05, 2004 at 16:46:38:

I left the Air Force thinking I wanted to be a successful public school band director. My first teaching job after leaving D.C. was less than successful. I almost quit teaching until I found another job, only this time it was in a parochial school. The principal there got my head screwed on straight about teaching and I eventually worked my way back into public school work. All the time thinking I needed to be in a large district making the "big bucks." After a while I discovered that being a band director was getting me no where financially and that my family (2 kids by then, plus my wife) needed security. So, I pursued avenues leading me into school administration. For 13 years I struggled with who I was, all the while knowing that my heart was really in music, not administration. Finally, I got back into high school band work and have never regretted the move. Unfortunately, similarly to Rick, I am finding that my profession is changing rapidely here in Missouri and had the circumstances been in 1973 what they are now, I might never have left D.C. However, had I followed any route other than the one I did, I would not be part of a fantastic quartet, directing a stimulating community band, working with an energetic dance band, and most importantly, my family might have had to pay some serious consequences. Someimtes you just can't think about yourself, but the others close to you. For me, the bottom line was to follow my heart at each and every step and pray constantly. Yes, things might have turned out differently. But, on the other hand, I have no regrets and I have two marvelous sons who are starting their own families and I have a wife who has had the courage to stay with me, even when I'm sure she must have thought I had lost what little mind I ever had. She's always had confidence in my abilities to provide for her and our two sons. Well, I don't think I really contributed too much to this thread, but maybe you found some more food for thought. Good luck.
Phil

Follow Ups: