Re: All purpose CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by james on March 11, 2004 at 16:42:54:

In Reply to: All purpose CC posted by Solid intonation? on March 11, 2004 at 12:21:40:

the miraphone 1291 is a nice choice for tone quality and feel of a horn(feels like a 4/4,plays like a 5/4 or 6/4). however, be careful with the intonation on the miraphone 1290. i own the older version and it does have several pitch areas where slide pulling is necessary. mainly check...all A's, Db's and Bb's anywhere in the range(below, first space, and top of staff), Ab top of bass cleff staff, F in and above the staff, Eb's anywhere, F# just below staff, and sometimes D in the staff can be brutally flat with first slide pushed all the way in. i advise you to check these pitches on the new model to be safe. other than pitch, i really like the tone and sound of the horn. it has brought be a long way (semi-finalist new york phil, disney all-american band, sub-new world symphony)and i have received many comliments on the sound. i list these accomplishments only to show that the horn is suitable for most any ensemble and genre. the pitch is only a concern if you refuse to pull slides. however, i heard a quote by a symphony tuba player who once said, "there are two types of tuba players; those who pull slides, and those who play out of tune!" good luck in your search.

-james

Follow Ups: